It is easier to get into a relationship than maintaining it. It is even harder to keep it healthy and strong.
You may think that love and affection for each other are enough to sustain a relationship. You got it wrong there. While these can lay a solid foundation for a great relationship, the feelings of love, no matter how intense and powerful it is, cannot gloss over the contrasts in the personalities and perceptions of the individuals involved.
In the initial days of the relationship, when you are infatuated with love for your boyfriend, you may be able to ignore other aspects of the relationship and conflicts and contradictions in behavior. The honeymoon phase is bound to end sooner or later.
Once you start seeing them for who they are, the real test of the strength of the relationship begins. You will realize that love is just one aspect of a relationship. To make it healthy, a relationship needs so many more nourishing and wholesome ingredients.
This article takes a look at how to maintain a good relationship with your boyfriend. You will find here the essential components required to keep a relationship strong and happy.
Tips and suggestions to make a relationship stronger
No doubt, relationships are highly rewarding and can make you feel happy and fulfilled like none other. But maintaining relationships is hard work and challenging. Even if you love and care a lot about your boyfriend, your relationship may not be where you want it to be or going where you want it to go.
Let’s explore how to improve your relationship with your boyfriend and keep it strong and healthy.
1. Spend quality time together
When you are together, ensure the time is spent on activities both enjoy. Discussing beforehand to find common interests and hobbies can help avoid conflicts and disappointments.
It adds more excitement to the relationship when you can explore new avenues together. However, it may not be an easy task to figure out things that are agreeable to both partners. Be willing to try out newer activities. Brace yourself to get out of your comfort zone.
While at it, you can try to get acquainted with the interests and hobbies of each other. This is an easy way to know the person.
Make sure to avoid activities that either of the partners detest or doesn’t enjoy or doesn’t want to participate in. By forcing them on your boyfriend, you may be creating rifts and tensions in the relationship.
2. Don’t shy away from the display of love and affection
Remember how you enjoyed the loved-up glances and soft caresses in the early days of the relationship? The hugs, kisses, pats, and touches convey so much more in a relationship than the actual words.
Eye contact, holding hands, cuddling up together, or sitting shoulder-to-shoulder mean a lot for a healthy relationship. The three simple words of “I love you” can elevate your relationship to another level.
Another way to show love is to do simple tasks for each other. Smaller things mean so much more than the effort that goes into them. Through these meaningful and thoughtful gestures, you can show him that you deeply care for him, think about him, and know about his needs.
3. Make it known that you appreciate him
Once you have been together for long and the relationship settles down into a routine, it is easy and normal to take each other for granted. Put in the extra effort to let your boyfriend know how much you appreciate his presence in your life and all the things, big and small, he is doing for you every day.
This may be a small gesture such as saying, “I really appreciate that you went out of your way to drive me to work today” or “Thanks for cleaning the place after the party and taking the trash out”.
Words, especially appreciative ones, remain in your memory for a long time and work wonders for you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
4. Work on your communication skills
Be it the spoken word or the intentional and unintentional gestures, having a good grasp on how your actions and words are perceived by your boyfriend can make or mar your relationship. It is important not to make wrong impressions. Miscommunications and misunderstandings can annihilate relationships in an instant.
Communication is the most vital link between partners in a relationship. However, if you are not on the same page, misapprehensions and misconceptions can cause more harm than less communication or its absence.
You need to make sure that your words and actions are perceived by your boyfriend in the way you intend them to be. This requires a good understanding of their mindset and behavioral patterns.
You may not be able to get a deep understanding of your partner in a day or two. With consistent effort, you will get there.
Another major aspect of improving communication is the ability to listen. When your boyfriend is talking, tune everything else out and focus on what he is saying. Offering undivided attention and grasping the real meaning of what he is saying can go a long way in improving the relationship.
5. Give each other space and respect boundaries
Most people think boundaries and individual freedom have no place in a relationship. Once you are in a relationship, you need to forgo the rights and claims of being an individual. You will cease to exist as an individual. This cannot be further from the truth.
Whether you are in a relationship or not, you will continue to think and feel like an individual. If your partner denies you this, you are bound to feel anger, resentment, and bitterness. If left unattended, at a point in the future, it will boil over and consume the relationship.
To avoid this eventuality, you should learn to set boundaries and encourage your partner to do the same. Respecting each other’s independence and offering each other the space and time to pursue their passions and interests can only help in strengthening the relationship. It is a misconception that pursuing individual activities can pull you apart.
To learn more, here are five sensual exercises for couples that you and your partner can do together to spice up your relationship.
Here are some more pointers to have a better relationship with your boyfriend and keep a relationship going.
- Love yourself. Only then you can love another person in all honesty.
- Give each other respect.
- Plan fun activities together whenever time allows.
- Be willing to make sacrifices for the greater good.
- Learn to accept them for who they are rather than trying to change them to suit your image of an ideal partner.
- Develop your own love languages to express your feelings for each other.
- Be ready to fight for your relationship.
- Don’t hide your feelings and emotions.
- Discuss your hopes and goals for the future.
- Don’t hide differences. Try to resolve them through open conversations.
- When your feelings are hurt, talk it over rather than suppress them.
- Set couples goals even when pursuing individual ones.
- Don’t hesitate to accept each other’s flaws.
- Spending time apart can add more passion to your relationship.
- Try to use the word “we” more and “I” less.
- Stay positive and cheerful.
- Be happy and confident.
Read more about appreciation messages for your boyfriend in our full article here – Sweet Thank You Message for Boyfriend
Just as each individual is not the same, each relationship is also different. There are a multitude of choices for you to choose from to have a good relationship. Not all are meant for you. You should pick and choose the ones that suit you and your partner and your relationship.
How to keep a relationship going strong is something you need to decide.
- How to attract your ex boyfriend back with law of attraction?
- How to stop being attached to your boyfriend
- Signs of Secure Attachment in Adults
- 15 Tips for a Successful Marriage
- Signs He Wants You to Chase Him
- How to Manifest a Healthy Relationship?
- How To Manifest Marriage With A Specific Person
- 21 Signs of Losing Yourself in a Relationship
- How to Make a Man Want You Bad
- How To Get His Attention When He Ignores You
- 21 Questions for a New Relationship
- How to Use Reverse Psychology on a Man
- How to Respond When a Man Disrespects You?
- Signs Your Man is Not Sexually Attracted to You
- Why Is My Boyfriend Annoying Me So Much Lately
- What are the 4 Bases of a Relationship?
- What’s considered a long-term relationship?